One of the world’s greatest travel experiences. 8000 km transcontinental rail journey between Beijing Moscow or Vise Versa.
Experience the legendary Trans-Siberian Railway and the Trans-Mongolian Railway onboard a private charter train. Forget about any hassle of packing and unpacking every day. Your cabin is your “home on wheels” during the entire rail cruise journey.
Our train offers a choice of 4 accommodation categories from Economy to Deluxe as well as a restaurant, a bar and a conference area for lectures. Stops for land excursions at the most interesting places along the route are included every day. In selected cities hotel nights in international managed 3* hotels are included, allowing you more time to explore these places and enjoy a relaxed journey.
The journey may be booked either eastbound, starting in Moscow, or westbound, starting in Beijing. Hotel nights in Moscow and in Beijing in star-class hotels are included as well.
Our rail cruises offer you the possibility to experience remote areas of the world like Siberia, Lake Baikal and Mongolia and at the same time enjoy the comfort which is possible only on board of a private charter train.
Beijing accommodation and tours
Feel free to add on extra nights or make your own arrangements. In addition, we can certainly arrange trips to the Great Wall (typically at Mutianyu section of the Wall), or city sightseeing tours of the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Tiananmen Square and the fabulous hutongs around Houhai.
From June onwards, departures from Beijing to Ulaanbaatar will operate on Chinese train #23 on Tuesdays; an additional summer service is expected to depart (still to be confirmed) on Mongolian train #23 on Mondays.Each of these trains depart Beijing at 11:22, arriving in Ulaanbaatar the following day at 14:35 (15:35 during summer daylight saving time).
In the past it was possible to depart on the Wednesday train #3; this train runs between Beijing and Moscow and is generally available for shorter routes.
However, this year the ticket office will issue tickets on train #3 for the direct journey to Moscow as a priority, and will only release tickets for the shorter leg to Ulaanbaatar in the final week prior to departure. It would be too risky to wait until the final week to secure preferred train tickets, especially for first class berths.
Complete Tour, travel Beijing to Moscow, with tour program in Mongolia, (2 nights Open Steppe + 1 Ulaanbaatar) and Irkutsk & Lake Baikal (2 Listvyanka + 1 Irkutsk)
Day 01 : Beijing
Arrive in Beijing. Transfer to your hotel in Beijing.
Day 02 : Departure from Beijing
After breakfast transfer to train station. Depart Beijing on train #23 at 11:22
(Tuesday, Saturday (June-Oct.) or Wednesday [#3] departures only)
Day 03 : Arrive in Ulaanbaatar
Arrive in Ulaanbaatar 15:35.
Transfer to Hotel Nine
Day 04: Ulaanbaatar
Meet your guide at guesthouse or hotel after breakfast. Travel east of UB (approx. 120km) to the Gun-Galuut area on the open steppe.
Visit the Genghis Khan monument on the way. Arrive at tourist camp and settle in to comfortable Mongolian Elstei ger before lunch. In the afternoon, choose from a range of optional excursions and activities: kayaking on the Kherlen River, hiking, or visiting a local nomadic family. Horse riding can be arranged with the local herdsman. You can also take advantage of the camp’s many sporting facilities for rent (mountain bikes, tennis, volleyball and basketball court).
Dinner at Elstei ger camp restaurant
Morning is free to relax.
You have the entire day to explore the open steppe with your guide, choosing from a wide range of excursions and activities.
All meals are taken at the camp restaurant, or your guide can arrange a picnic lunch.
Breakfast and free time at the camp before your return to Ulaanbaatar.
Short guided city tour, including: Gandan Monastery, Sukhbaatar Square and National History Museum.
You will have a chance to freshen up at Zaya’s Guesthouse. Free time. Evening transfer to train station.
Depart on train #263 at 20:45 (no dining carriage)
Overnight in the train.
Day 07 On the train crossing the Mongolian / Russian border
Day 08 Irkutsk
Arrive Irkutsk at 07:15. Meet guide on platform.
Enjoy a guided city tour of Irkutsk (2 hrs – by car).
Transfer to Listvyanka, staying at UD Guesthouse for 2 nights.
Guided tour of village and Lake Baikal museum
Hiking excursion in Baikal National Park (5 hrs incl. picnic lunch) (alternative activity by request)
(Breakfast |Lunch |Dinner)
Morning is free to relax. Transfer to Irkutsk, free time. Overnight stay at Marussia Hotel.
Day 11 Free day in Irkutsk.
Transfer to station in the evening. Depart on train #69 at 18:28
Day 12 On train travelling across Siberia
Day 13 On train travelling across the Ural Mountains and Europe / Asia border
Day 14 All day on train
Day 15 Arrive Moscow at 04:11, transfer to Arbat House hotel.
City tour at 10am.
Overnight stay in Moscow.
~Options to extend your stay in Moscow / St Petersburg / or arrange travel onward~
Cost per person (based on one person travelling) Frm LKR 554,500 /-
(Including Single room in Ulaanbaatar, Irkutsk and Moscow)
Cost per person (based on two people travelling together) Frm LKR 415,000/-
Cost per person (based on three people travelling together) Frm LKR 384,000/-
Accommodation as mentioned below
- Beijing: 1 night 3 or 4* hotel, departure transfer and assistance at train station on departure
- Mongolia: 2 day Open Steppe program, transfers, guide, 2 nights accommodation Elstei ger full board
- Ulaanbaatar: 1 night 3-star hotel, guided city tour, all transfers
- 2-night Gun-Galuut Open Steppe tour. Program includes: All transfers, English speaking guide (2 1/2 days), 2 night’s accommodation: Gun-Gulaat tourist ger camp, all meals at camp (or picnic lunch), Genghis Khan monument (incl. museum entrance), kayak and mountain bike rental, guided city tour. Excludes: horse riding to be arranged and paid for locally; sporting equipment hire at tourist ger camp
- ✓Ulaanbaatar: Day-use central guesthouse (time permitting), incl. transfer: guesthouse <> station
- Lake Baikal: 2 night Listvyanka (guesthouse) program. Includes: all transfers, 2 nights UD Guesthouse: private room with en-suite (incl. breakfast), English speaking guide (1 day), guided tour of Listvyanka Village and Lake Baikal museum
- Hiking excursion (5-6 hrs incl. picnic lunch) (or alternative by prior request). Includes: Hiking guide (basic English), picnic lunch
- 1 night Marussia 3* Hotel, private room with ensuite (incl. breakfast)
- Irkutsk guided city tour (2 hrs – car)
- Moscow: arrival transfer: station to hotel
- Moscow: 1 night 3* hotel, private room with ensuite (incl. breakfast)
- Moscow guided city walking tour (3 hrs)
- Lake Baikal: fully inclusive tour to Listvyanka village, 2 nights homestay (breakfast and dinner), village and museum guided tour
- Hiking excursion around Listvyanka (5 hrs incl. picnic lunch)
- Irkutsk: 1 night 3* hotel, guided city walking tour, all transfers
- Moscow: arrival transfer, 1 night 3* hotel, guided city walking tour
Train tickets in second class (4 berth) cabin
Meals as listed in the itinerary (B – breakfast | L – lunch | D – dinner)
– Upgrade to first class or private cabin on all trains as follows:
Per person supplement Frm LKR 108,000/-(minimum 02 guests in the 01st class cabin)
✓ Upgrade to first class train #23 Beijing to Ulaanbaatar
✓ Extra berth (whole cabin) / ✗ no first class train #263 Ulaanbaatar to Irkutsk
✓ Extra berth (whole cabin) / ✗ no first class on day train #69 from Irkutsk to Moscow
Meals other than stated above
Air Ticket (Colombo /Beijing /Moscow/Colombo)
Anything which is not mentioned in the inclusions
You will need Chinese, Mongolian and Russian visas for this trip.
The Russian tourist visa requires official documents of invitation, issued by a registered agency in Russia. We take care of this through our Moscow partners and will send you the necessary documents to enable you to obtain the visa yourself at your local embassy.
You will need to arrange the Mongolian visa prior to departing on your trip and as Sri Lanka nationals you may also need an official letter of invitation from the Mongolian foreign ministry in Ulaanbaatar. We can arrange this through our partners in UB.
The Chinese visa should be reasonably straightforward, we can certainly add your travel arrangements to a letter of invitation.
We will advise you regarding Visa Fees.
- Accommodation options are subject to change depending on availability
- Quotation in LKR subject to change as per the exchange rate.